The Miami Dolphins formally introduced Dennis Hickey as General Manager to the South Florida media on Tuesday.
Here are some of the key points from the press conference:
– Owner Stephen Ross said Hickey will be in charge of the 53-man roster. Dawn Aponte will report to and assist Hickey.
– The Dolphins front office structure was clear to Hickey during the interview process and actually was a factor that drew him to the job. Hickey: "The structure was completely clear. That was a draw to me, to work with talented people."
– Ross: “I told Dennis if I tell you to draft a player or call a player or play a player, you don’t have to listen." Hickey won't be pressured to make any free agency or draft decisions by Ross.
– Hickey would not confirm the future plans of assistant GM Brian Gaine and did not comment on whether Mark Dominik is a possibility.
– Hickey also told the Palm Beach Post that he was in charge of all the Bucs' drafts. Encouraging news considering that there were some solid picks over his tenure that contributed to the large amount of talent currently on Tampa Bay's roster.
– Dennis Hickey said that he drafts the best player available, over a need.
– Ross admitted that Martin and Incognito will not return next year and the Ted Wells report will be released after the Super Bowl.
Overall, Hickey seemed excited to be a part of the Dolphins franchise as GM and eager to improve the roster.